Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Balance

On my way to the airport to catch a flight I pulled into the airport car park
with 45 minutes to spare . On the way into the terminal I discovered I had
forgot my driving licence - so no ID to get on the plane ! O.K. let's not
panic . I live near the airport and I can go home to get it . I won't make
the flight but I can get a later one and who knows , the flight might just
be delayed anyway . So back to the car , quick jaunt through rush hour
traffic , home and back to the airport by 5.15pm - fifteen minutes before
scheduled departure . Straight over to the ticket desk "what times the next
flight ?" . "Actually that flight's delayed" I'm told . Can't believe my
luck . But ....."It's delayed until 9.15pm" . I have about an hours journey
on the other end so I don't fancy that and am offered another flight to an
alternative airport at 7.10pm . Great ! So as i queue to check in I make a
phone call to cancel the car that would have been sent to pick me up and
arrange another one to pick me up from the new airport , I should be in by
8pm . On board the captain says it will only be 25 minutes flying time due
to the fact strong winds are behind us . Fantastic ! I'm picking my bag off the conveyor at 7.45pm . At 8.30 still no-one has materialised to pick me up . I grab a taxi from the rank which costs me £70 . Fuck's sake !

Anyway , stay the night , have meetings etc. and then back to the airport this evening for a 7.30 pm flight home . You guessed - delayed for 2 hours .

Just goes to show luck finds a way to balance itself out very quickly .

No comments: