Monday, June 05, 2006

Stop


I've done this many times. Stop. Start again. Repeat ad nauseam. Every time I restart I wonder why. One always leads to another. I can get addicted to anything. I'm quite sure if all there was in the world was air and water I'd get addicted to them instead. This time I have to make it stick though. It's making me look old (good god, I've realised I am vain), making me unhealthy, making me smell and I don't want my daughter to associate me with the smell of a stale cigarette though she never sees me smoking ( I hope she isn't imprinted already but fear it might be too late). I'm not even worried about the money. I used to be so fit. Seven miles over hills in 36 minutes. 140 sits ups in one sitting. Two minutes of anything now would place me uncomfortably close to my maker. So 60 hours ago the last Marlboro red was tossed away (after a good toke). No-one's dead and nothing of any real value is broke. But I could kill for a piece of nasty tasting gum.


8 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats! Good luck, Monty. I quit six years ago. Maybe you could substitute smoking for sex. Can you imagine the shape you'd be in then?

monty said...

Sarah, I'd be worn down to a stub in about 2 weeks.

Sweary said...

G'WAN MONTY! RAH RAH RAH!

Anonymous said...

every once in awhile I still long for a cigarette. usually, right after dinner, when I always lit one up immediately. oh, well, the urge passes and I just ram my fist into a wall instead.

good luck, monty. I know how hard it is to do this. took me three times before I got it right.

Anonymous said...

Vices are too important to surrender.

Anonymous said...

well damn - I suppose I will have to try it again too.

*megaPOUT

Anonymous said...

It's a rough road, I quit over 2 years ago, with just a small relapse a few months back. I guess it can take a few attempts, but when you really want it, you can do it. And of course it's unbearably tempting with a few bevies in your system!

monty said...

Swearing lady, ta.
Jock, I'll get there eventually.
Loach, I won't surrender them all, don't worry.
Bren, yes you fuckin' will!
Amanda, the killer drink....always trips us up, doesn't it.