Thursday, April 20, 2006

sticks and stones


It's been over 6 years since I was here. I remember walking up a hill in sweltering heat, cutting down through a forest where there was barely a path, eventually coming to a house overlooking a 170 degree view of a flat,warm sea. In front of the house the hill sloped away steeply down to the sea and left and right and centre were the huts built mostly from driftwood and panelling perched precariously on rocks that were each the size of these small houses, blown out and deposited, in geological terms just yesterday, from a now extinct volcano. The place was Ko Tao, barely touched by tourism, a genuine oasis in the Gulf Of Thailand protected by virtue of being 30 miles from the next nearest island. Electricity was in short supply and lighting came from a tiny petrol lawnmower engine which flickered the 40 watt bulbs until eventually running dry and leaving the hillside in perfect darkness except for the moon and stars. No tv. An honesty bar up at the house (where the only fridge was) and food growing all around (the owner's husband caught daily what you wanted for dinner). I'm sure times have moved on for it (I hear it now has 24hr seven eleven stores) and that it's less of a secret nowadays but I'm glad I sampled it's uncomplicated serenity before it's inevitably lost to development and "progress".I must think I'm working too hard!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Beautiful...

Monty, blogspot is bringing out your soft side.

Sad how people think they can improve on something so simple and sweet.

Perfect title, by the way.

Now, come on over, ya big softie, give Mama a hug.

Anonymous said...

I'm quite envious. I'm glad you got to enjoy the serenity and simplicity before tourism reared its ugly head.

I used the enjoy the solitude and quiet beauty of hidden beaches in Mexico. Now, well...in order to center myself I have to hide in my room and listen to a song recommended by a certain Irish bloke.

Damn, it's way past time for a trip to the ocean.

Anonymous said...

How bout this! Monty the movie maker -- and such a fine character you have cast.

Sarah said...

WOW! Sexy voice, Monty!

Beautiful, beautiful baby.

I am completely impressed with your movie. How'd you do it?

monty said...

Ta Sarah and Jock.
Sarah, I'm closing my eyes and have my arms open wide. don't let the pouting lips put you off.
Jock, I'd send you a tape of waves rolling in but you'd never leave that room.
Junq, I never manage to catch her most impressive moments, she behaves strangely when a camera's around but she IS a cutey.
Sarah, I am the Barry White of Belfast only fatter and more black.
I'll do a short entry on the movie production.