Sunday, February 05, 2006

letting go

Isn't it amazing how much rubbish we collect as we waddle through our lives. Moving house helps sort out the important from the irrelevant whilst always maintaining a degree of just-in-caseness. Being partway through my 2nd move in 2 years I travel fairly light though still have a lot of things that should beggar the question "when was the last time you used/needed/wanted/wore that?" Today, while looking for some pics of a friend (who's emigrating) I trawled through half of my photos, the old fashioned printed ones. It was reassuring to see my ability to take pictures has got better but less inspiring to see what a low base it started from. A work in progress. As I reminisced of people and places I couldn't help wonder why I still had most of them. Old girlfriends, lost friends, mostly people and places who now have no bearing on my life. People who I no longer wanted to remember for one reason or another. What is it that makes us hold on to these? I decided that next time I looked in that box I owed it to myself to sort out the important from the irrelevant. Then put it back in the wardrobe, just in case.

No comments: