Thursday, June 16, 2005

passing the MENSA test - part 2

Where was I ? Oh yes ....

I close the passenger door first then hear a familiar clunk on closing her door - her little face , mouth wide open in a toddler smile , peering out at me as she holds the key in both hands - her little thumbs pressing the middle blue and white button .............

I am sooo fucking stupid .

In a split second a million thoughts stream through my mind

- why am I such a dick ?
- I knew this would happen !
- how do I get the door open ?
- I'm in a car park - others will know I'm a dick .
- I have nothing to break the glass .
- if I go back to the supermarket to get something she'll cry .
- it's a company car , my employer will know I'm a dick .
- if I explain to her where the open button is I might get lucky
- but ... if she drops the key I'm fucked .
- are her tiny thumbs strong enough to push the black button bit ?
- does she know what black is ?


My mind's done more calculations in the blink of an eye than Deep Blue did to beat Kasparov .

As I evaluate all the options I notice the smile slide off her face , the corners of her tiny mouth turn down and her eyes begin to well up . She realises all is not as it should be and taking one hand off the key instinctively reaches out towards me ...........

No comments: