Tuesday, October 31, 2006

No sé nada




Long,long ago (well, July) I vowed never again to be embarrassed about my almost complete lack of language skills. I went through a process of elimination to decide which language I should learn. I studied Latin briefly at school but as Centurions never quite made it to these parts and I didn't want to be a flower arranger or human butcher there was never really a need. I then migrated to French which annoyingly I can read pretty well though have no desire to know perhaps partly from the knowledge that in the last 200 or so years the only words the French themselves needed to know were
Non! and Je me rends. So Spanish was chosen for my adult re-education. I dug out the cloth eared Collins Gem Spanish phrasebook I bought a couple of years before and started to read up on it, check pronunciation, download the few available podcasts etc.. One of them mentioned a speed learning technique that tapped into the sub-conscious (which suits me as I usually am) and just seemed to make sense. As you learn buy a novel in Spanish that is also available in English, and just read. Vocabulary, grammar, speech patterns etc. are, according to the theory, just absorbed and constructed jigsaw-like by the grey, walnut sized organ that sits between the ears. My walnut read lazy learning. So, before boarding my holiday jet home I procured my first pair of Spanglish novels. At this point I should, therefore, be able to regale you with word of what progress I've made and share whether I can converse in a way that would have you think I'm Enrique rather than a dubbed bandito in a Fistfull of Dollars. Needless to say I lost the bloody book. Well, you weren't expecting a happy ending, were you? ¡Bastardos groseros!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I took four years of latin, four years of Spanish, and one year of German in my schooling.

Spanish is the only language that I have retained anything. Mi carne is muy largo.....oh those boys in school sure knew how to woo a woman.

monty said...

But were they telling the truth Sarah?

Steph said...

I have enough trouble with the English language without destroying a foreign one.

Sarah said...

It was then that I found out that boys who feel the need to say it are lying.

ColleenQ said...

Sarah? WTF?! I took 4 years of latin, 4 of Spanish, and one year of German...

I have come to the conclusion that you are one of my personalities...kind of like John Cusak in Identity? Only, I'm the old cantankerous John, and you're the young, cute sweet John.

Monty, just toss around an "Ay, carumba" every once in a while - your secret is safe with us.

Maddy May said...

Just make sure you know the phrases "aspirar mi pene" and "curva encima ahora" you'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

My advice before any of you would try any sexual encounter with a spanish would be to speak only english, because 'aspirar pene' can be painful!(vacuum penis)

Sarah said...

CQ- scary how alike we are. As far as the Cusak- I apparently look like at least one of them.

Haha, Lilly!

monty said...

Steph, me too. But I have to try...

Sarah, like throwing a sausage up a drainpipe. I get ya'.

CQ, you're multi, multi lingaul then?

Sher, I think you're saying the first one means suck my cock. Can't work out the second.

Lilly, as you can see we need all the help we can get. Nice to see you commenting. I think you're my only Portuguese visitor. You can be our token Spanish teacher if you want.

Maddy May said...

monty - the second one means "bend over now"...

Anonymous said...

Well to be honest Monty I usually don't comment because I have a hell of a time just reading, but this time (and before a true accident occours) I decided it was the TIME!
So before any of you decides to venture among the spanish love affairs, fell free to ask ... I'll do my best ;) or not

Lili