Thursday, October 05, 2006

Bolloxing about with Blogger Beta


Well, I eventually took the plunge and swithced over to the new Beta. What's the difference? It's easier, for the most part, to customise and for the first time it's possible to position elements of the page rather than have them nailed in a specific location for each template.


I was able to move most of my junk over and paste in in to new html/script elements. In fact I think the only thing I couldn't do was put back my comment hack which showed the names of all commenters below each post. For the time being I've made do with something else for comments though I'm not sure it's working in real time and seems to be a bit behind. Hopefully you should be able to see the most recent comments somewhere in the sidebar though I'd really like to be able to have that functionality again.

On the whole I think the changes are good and allow the majority of non html savvy bloggers to tweak and customise. The downside is that Blogger wrote a new programming language so it's more difficult to mess with the template itself. I imagine the hackers are already on it though and some new bells and whistles will be along soon for the brave and foolhardy.

There still seems to be some glitches. Some elements don't like certain page positions so some of my page elements aren't where I want them. I imagine it'll get sorted out.

It's also now possible to post photos directly to the blog from flickr rather than simply have them hosted. Haven't tried it out yet so don't know if it's for individual pics or slideshows too.

I've spent 2 or 3 hours changing things around. Not happy with eveything yet so I'll probably have a go again tonight to see what else I can come up with.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

>> I imagine the hackers are already on it though and some new bells and whistles will be along soon for the brave and foolhardy <<

There have been quite a lot already,
which is good news as I wanted a few things added to my Beta template that
were not in the Official menu ;-)
I have listed the ones I've used
plus links to some cool hacks-making guys' blogs in my sidebars if you want to have a look.

Some are easy to implement, some others... well... not so easy but
they're not impossible to add though.

I stopped adding more hacks after a while as I wanted to go back to posting instead of customizing more and more and more etc...
[Those new hacks can be very addictive]

Anyway, nice blog you've got there. :-)

I'll try to visit again soon.

jnuts said...

The new blog is beautiful, Monty. And since you're a lot smarter than the rest of us around here, you'll get things figured out faster, too. (and, of course, I meant, MontyGod. Don't smite me.)

monty said...

loup, yeah, I've already come across some I may need to alter a bit but haven't the balls to attempt yet as they seem quite hard to decipher. Thanks.

jock, being that I'm omnipotent and all I'm actually underperforming quite a bit. But thanks.