Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Guerilla penguin

I did take on a biggy. Install a Linux OS and get it running on my p.c. wirelessly. Now accomplished. Sort of. For those of you who are not close to the penguin Linux is a multi-flavoured Open Source (the important bit is FREE here) operating system, a more secure, and apparently stable alternative to Windows. It's constantly in development so bugs and issues get fixed quickly and the way Linux works means you don't normally need a firewall or anti-virus program. The only problem is that hardware manufacturers don't do a lot to support Linux users in terms of drivers so there are all sorts of workarounds. I know this because I must have spent the equivalent of 20 hours pouring over forum threads about wireless networking to get my own (albeit obscure) wireless USB adapter working. It set up a wired LAN network automatically but wireless.....that's a bit different. And I still haven't been able to get it configured with security enabled. But I will, eventually.


So, if you're one of my neighbours and have attached yourself to my network (I know who you are)..... that wasn't me earlier looking at pictures of naked Australian women, but yes, they were tasteful. And that wasn't my bank account I was checking either. If I were you though I'd batten down the hatches because thanks to Linux I've just discovered two open source cracking utilities that'll mean I'll be able to unzip your WEP key post haste. You better hope you don't have any "artistic" pics of your wife on your hard drive.



Viva la penguin!

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Brave, brave man.

Off the topic- I was looking through your flickr slideshow. Wow, Monty- beautiful pictures (of course a beautiful subject helps, huh?) but my favorite it the car seat banana meltdown. Such a typical moment in parenting. I love it...so much so that I am tempted to give my own kids some bananas, strap them in, and tell them that Mickey Mouse is dead just so I could get the same photo.

monty said...

ta, yes I had to tell her her mother was dead to get that reaction......just kidding!

I just had to take that shot all the same, you do don't you? I could say it was so that I had a complete record of her personality growing up but really it's just so that I have something to embarrass her with in front of her friends when she gets older.

Anonymous said...

Damn. Monty, you shouldn't tell a paranoid man you can pick the lock.

*Scurries to clean hard-drive*

monty said...

melissa, I'm certainly not an expert on networks and all the different devices and how that's complicated by firewalls etc.but I know where you can find peeps that are.
try here There's a lot of people there that know their onions and can walk you through set up step by step. I'd be biting off more than I could chew if I jumped in with my level of knowledge. I'd be afraid I'd do more harm than good.

Jock, I've just re-read what I wrote. Bit ambiguous. I meant I could crack my neighbours' WEP codes . I can't crack yours.
Nice snaps by the way.

Anonymous said...

oooooh I love it when you talk techy. I get so much from you. Or should I say I take so much from you :)
I'm currently having network and HIGH SPEED net access withdrawal. Hopefully that will all change on Friday - at which time I will be giving satellite access a try (my only option in this neighborhood) - and another piece of crap hanging off my roof. DAMMIT

About The Tech Guy - you pointed me towards them earlier this spring - what a great source for help.

Sweary said...

What are you on about with your, "naked Australian women". A waste of adjectives, mate. Is there any other kind of Australian woman?

Also, Windows FTW! I JOKE, I JOKE!

Anonymous said...

Ack.
Fear the Penguin

monty said...

junq, I'm thinking ahead. Windows Vista on the horizon and who knows what silly stuff they'll put on it. I know they're basically going to give no discounts for multiple licences which means for your 2nd pc you pay again. Open Source is looking attractive, at the very least for roaming laptops and all but the main p.c. . My Mini-me will be computer savvy in a year or two so I'll need another (secure) system then.

And ... it's interesting. I've learned so much in thelast couple of weeks.

swearing lady,I know. And "Windows FTW"?, I missed that. Useless at acronyms.

Mike, never seen that before, old U.S. ad campaign, pre, pre Wassup by the looks of it.

I think penguins should be nurtured though.

monty said...

Being in my company for 3 minutes makes you feel inadequate Jo? I expected as much.

monty said...

Jo, after 3 minutes I'd still be trying to get the condom on.

monty said...

Ah well. Then we'll just have to go again.

monty said...

I doubt you'd need a nap as long as that... but if you insist.

monty said...

What, and have brewer's droop? On second thought that's a good idea. Might go 3 1/2 mins second time round.

monty said...

Off to get my vitamins.....and a 3 pack.

monty said...

*walks quickly and with a limp*