Thursday, March 08, 2007

Lurgy a go-go

I have a retentive streak that makes it hard to throw things away. What if I find out I later need it? Even years afterwards. So I hoard, re-organise, make that decision over and over as time goes by, throw it out or keep? A never ending cycle.

My office has piles of paperwork, cupboards and boxes of articles, cds or magazines I've never re-used, though thought I might, now out-dated because of legislation or simply the passage of time.
I'm the same with the contents of my fridge. A sell by/use by date means nothing. It'll be nuked, stir-fried, boiled so surely that renders it safe, it'll taste OK, not perfect but OK. I hate waste when it comes to food.

Yesterday I made a stir fry. King prawns, yellow pepper, sweetcorn, broccoli cooked in groundnut oil, seasoned with garlic, grated ginger and lemon grass and topped off with an over generous dose of bird's eye chillies. Add some egg fried rice at the end and serve. Yummy! The prawns were 3 days past. I made more than I could eat and forgot to put the remainder away but had it today for lunch reheated in the wok. Yummy twice!

This evening however retention caught up with me. Think Johnny Cash.


6 comments:

Sarah said...

HAhahahaha! "Yummy twice."

I don't like to waste, but I will throw food away the second it hits the "best by" date. Completely nonsensical, but remember, I'm also afraid of getting into bed at night for fear that the monsters will grab my ankles before I hop in.

Sorry to laugh at your butt eruption. Very serious.

manders said...

I'm a packrat as well. And lots of things don't need to go out on their expiry date. My problem is when something's iffy, and I don't really want to take a chance, but I'm not ready to throw it out either. So I'll let it sit and grow fuzz until I'm SURE is has to go out.

I've got an unopened bottle of salad dressing in the cupboard whose best before date is sometime back in the summer of '06. But I can't bring myself to toss it because I don't understand why it would be expired! It's unopened, and it doesn't seem to have anything in it that would go bad. But... I'm not really willing to crack it open and find out. So it'll just stay there indefinitely.

jnuts said...

fire in the hole day, eh? god, I hate those.

i'm just the opposite when it comes to food. if it's been in the fridge for 3 days, I'm ready to throw it out. my wife thinks i'm insane, she's thinkslike you on the subject. constant battle, as you can imagine.

as for everything else: packrat. it might be worth money someday.

Sultan said...

A little bit of sesame oil would probably be a good addition to that dish.

monty said...

laoch, toasted sesame oil or just sesame.

Culinary tips always gratefully received.

kittycatlane said...

I vote for toasted sesame oil.
I'm probably the Queen of Packrats, but, I'm like Jock when it comes to food. I won't take any chances.
You do however give me an idea of revenge for when the 'hubby' is being his normal nasty self... how long did those (as Sarah calls them) butt eruptions last? lol BIG HUGS, Steph