Monday, February 19, 2007

Snappy gifts



I have a couple of cameras. It's sounds so grand. It's not. I bought a new one a few weeks ago so now I have a "big" one to go along with my "wee" one. So, as you can see, even in my own head, that doesn't make me a photographer. I don't have the eye for it. I have an eye for spotting false breasts or for measuring cup and bra size at a glance. Different strokes....I'm just a happy snapper ....with an unusual talent for breast quantisation.
Anyway, Sarah's are lovely. Photos, that is. She has the eye, perhaps even two of them. Lucky bastard.

Photojournalists however, it's probably more about being in the right place at the right time than technique or composition. They've got to put themselves in danger quite often, but even more than that they need to have a certain type of character to allow them to detach themselves from the very inhumanity they may be recording.
For that reason I couldn't do it. I was reminded of that fact when I ended up on a web page recently for competition winning photos and the subject matter for the one that started me thinking is linked below.

If you're easily offended don't click here.

P.S. the photo at the top, anyone want to guess?

4 comments:

junquedujour said...

statosphere in vegas?

Sarah said...

Beautiful pictures on the site. I thank you for warning us though. I had to click out of some pictures pretty quickly. I could never do that type of photography. Congrats on the new camera! I'm looking for a nice, compact camera as well to shove in my purse. I'd also like some attachments for the bigger one....maybe a telescopic lense....a wide angle one too...a nice tripo....... Okay, I'll stop. What a brat I am.

monty said...

junq, never been to Vegas, sorry. Nope.

Sarah, yeah, the one I linked to is less disturbing than some of the others. Sounds like you need an early Santa.

monty said...

It is, or is supposed to be the CN Tower in Toronto. See, I was trying to be clever.. shadow....