Tuesday, July 26, 2005

What do you think really happened ?

Picked this up from a Digital Photography forum "DPReview" . I'll post it word for word .

I'm a night shift taxi driver. I take my camera with me everywhere. I work the late shift and have done for years. I'm pretty used to seeing weird and strange stuff and dealing with weird and strange people.

Tonight I was doing the usual ... picking people up ... dropping them off, you know, the kind of thing taxi drivers do.

Tonight, about 10:30pm in a southern suburb of Perth West Australia, I picked up a guy from a local pub and drove him the few Kms to his house, which was an address on a fairly dark and short dead-end street. He payed the fare, said thanks, then wandered up his driveway.

I turned the cab into the driveway opposite and spun it around to drive out of the street. As I took off there was a guy a few houses away standing out the front waving me down. He's about mid-20's, jeans and a light shirt. I usually wouldn't pick up from a place like that but he looked OK and didn't seem drunk or anything. So I stopped.

He opened the door, got in and said "G'day mate, to the city thanks."

I said "Sure" and started driving. I got out of the street and turned onto the main road, headed for the freeway. About a minute later I looked in the mirror but couldn't see him so I looked around and still couldn't see him.

I thought "Whats he doing?". I put the light on and looked behind ... no sign of him.

I stopped the car, got out and opened the back door. There was no one there, at all. I even checked in the boot.

I stood there looking back up the road, looking at the back seat ... looking back up the road ... etc. Now I'm thinking I imagined the whole thing. Its weirdness to the max.

I wasn't drinking, and I haven't been on drugs in many years. I've never had an hallucination and I'm a pretty down to earth kind of guy. I've never seen a ghost or aliens or other non-explainable stuff and I don't think I'm about to start believing that stuff either. But, did I imagine the whole thing? Did I fall asleep? Did the guy do a runner and I didn't notice?

If he'd got out I'd have noticed as the light comes on if the door is opened. Plus, he would have been just a few Kms from where I picked him up and since I hadn't stopped he'd have got out of a moving car. I think I'd have noticed.

Its got me stuffed! Not sure what to think now. I drove back down the street and I'll go back and look again tomorrow night but I don't know what I'd be looking for. Its weirdness is all. Strange things happen in the life of a taxi driver. I guess I'll just notch this one up on the list of strange stuff but its not the first time I've lost a customer, only the first time I've not been able to say where they went!

The full original thread is here .

No comments: