Thursday, January 05, 2006

resolutions are dead, long live resolutions


I know it's the time for resolutions. I normally don't make any based on the fact that I don't stick to them. Don't even try. But I would like to draw a line in the sand and change some things and a new year seems as good a time as any. The first thing I asked myself was "why don't we stick to resolutions?". I believe the answer is that they're usually arduous, stretching (perhaps more often unachievable) goals that we find generally unrewarding and unsustainable. If we made resolutions that were fun, that were spiritually enhancing (I can honestly say I've never used those 2 words together before!) then we'd
  1. probably stick to them
  2. probably make more of them
  3. have a shite load of smiles this year
So that's my starting point. Of course I'll have some goals too - but they'll be material and mostly work oriented.

And we all know that the most important step to achieving goals (and I'll include the fun resolutions in this) is writing them down then putting a bit of planning round each so, and I'm still mulling this over, I might put them up here via an entry or list.

Think of a fun resolution for yourself this year. If you want to share it stick it in the comments bin below or suggest one, tongue in cheek, for me.

No comments: